November 30, 2014

Everybody loves gloves.

May I recommend gloves? These are all the brand that I've repeatedly bought for myself (and all the links go to Amazon, which gives me a percentage of your purchase price, so your gift-buying is a way to express appreciation for this blog):
men's driving gloves
women's cashmere-lined gloves
women's driving gloves
men's rabbit-fur-lined gloves
I'm thinking of getting I just bought the driving gloves — in "dazzling blue" — not just (or even mostly) because they might be great/amusing to wear while driving, but because we like to keep the house at 62° (or less) in the wintertime and the backs of my hands get cold. So these would be "driving gloves" in the sense of driving the blog... driving people on the internet crazy... and, as noted above, if you appreciate my driving you around the internet and pointing out interesting sights and keeping up a conversation in what has been an 11-year ride, you can tip the driver by buying your gloves and other presents for yourself and others via those links and through The Althouse Amazon Portal.

IN THE COMMENTS: EDH said: "Some, ah, gloves... gloves... howdaya... Oh, little gloves."

16 comments:

The Drill SGT said...

men's gloves are rabbit fur lined.

women don't want to have gloves lined with fur from Thumper's Mom, so they use baby cashmeres?

rdasher said...

You like to keep your house at 62? Yikes. I live in MN keep the house at 71 day / 64 night in the winter, 75 day and 73 night in the summer.

Laslo Spatula said...

Speaking of gloves, through the Althouse portal you can also get Nitrile Exam Gloves, Black for those whose 'proclivities' require the usage of such things. The things that can be done while wearing black exam gloves: it is like every pair worn tells a story.

Wince said...

"Some, ah, gloves... gloves... howdaya... Oh, little gloves."

Ron said...

I need a pair of gloves...no funds though...

Laslo Spatula said...

For spanking the naughty All-American Cheerleader in colder weather I have a pair of fingerless black leather gloves: these are -- obviously -- my 'lucky' gloves. Wear what Laslo wears.

I am Laslo.

rhhardin said...

The secret to cold hands is keep your wrists warm. That's where the decision is made to cut off blood flow to conserve heat.

Bike rider tip.

You could be sweating down your back but your hands freeze unless your wrists are warm.

Scott said...

"...we like to keep the house at 62° (or less) in the wintertime..."

My partner likes to keep the house at 75° in the winter. I think he said it was a Black thing. He's not paying the gas bill though. I'm tempted to put one of those plexiglas security cages over the thermostat.

Original Mike said...

I do not love gloves. I wear gloves to keep my hands warm.

Ann Althouse said...

"You like to keep your house at 62? Yikes."

At night, it's programmed to go down to 50°... basically, to just stay off and let us breathe. You'd be surprised how warm that gets you under the covers. It's a bit hard to get out of bed if you wake up before the program starts the heat up again, but if you're oversleeping, the heat coming on is a gentle alarm clock.

Ann Althouse said...

"The secret to cold hands is keep your wrists warm. That's where the decision is made to cut off blood flow to conserve heat."

That reminds me of something I hadn't thought of in decades — the kid-to-kid advice that if you held an ice cube to your wrist it could kill you. Heart attack or stroke or something.

Wilbur said...

I love my golf glove.

chillblaine said...

Thank Althouse! I think I'm going to go with the fingerless texting mittens, for those unforgiving days when it dips into the fifties.

Humperdink said...

I have never found rabbit fur-lined to be very warm. Thinsulate is the answer for me.

Balfegor said...

Is it just me, or is it hard to find gloves that fit close to the hand in the US? I only ever see gloves that fit loosely and don't go all the way up my fingers (or I can get them large and they just flop around at the ends), with the result that I loose almost all manual dexterity when wearing gloves.

It's less effective in the cold, but I find close cut gloves much easier -- and it doesn't get that cold where I live, so it's generally enough to have gloves that blunt the sting of cold wind and cold iron.

Ann Althouse said...

Those gloves are Italian.

Make sure you order the right size.