November 25, 2014

Bob Dylan plays a concert for just one man.

"The incredible concert was part of an ongoing Swedish film series Experiment Ensam (Experiment Alone), where people experience things completely alone that are usually reserved for large crowds."
[41-year-old Bob Dylan superfan Fredrik Wikingsson said that on the day of the show] "I was a fucking wreck... Part of me was thinking, 'Maybe this won't happen and it'll be for the best. I don't want to impose on Mr. Dylan. I don't want him to stand there and be grouchy, just hating it.'"...

"I thought the first row might freak him out... I was like a guy picking the next-to-most expensive bottle of wine in a restaurant, which is a very Swedish thing to do. I figured the second row would be ideal. Malcolm Gladwell would probably have all sorts of theories about this."...

At the end of "It's Too Late (She's Gone)" Dylan performed a harmonica solo. "I always detest people that automatically holler and applaud every time he breaks out the harmonica," says Wikingsson. "But I found myself almost weeping when he played the solo. He could have just ended the song without the solo, he wanted it to be great."

14 comments:

Sigivald said...

The only interesting thing there is that this Swede is someone who thinks in terms of "what would Malcolm Gladwell think?".

Which is actually not that interesting.

It's like some sort of strange vortex of irrelevance between e.g. Rolling Stone and The New Yorker and similar decrepit legacy media or something.

(I suppose it might be interesting that someone as young as 41, and not American, lives his life such that he references against New Yorker authors...?)

dustbunny said...

I can see how this idea would appeal to Dylan. Lucky Fredrik!

Anonymous said...

It's odd. You'd think the performer on the stage would be the one who is shy and embarrassed, but it's actually the single person in the audience who is uncomfortable.

I think I'd be the same way.

Heartless Aztec said...

I'm a big fan but I'm thinking that Bob would have to pay me to be the guinea pig in that show. That said, I always wondered why famous musical stars who have more money than Judas never travel and perform under a fake identity. I know the Stones sometimes do one offs when working out the kinks to a new tour but I'm talking as a small tour. By way of example - "Ricky and the Ricardo's" at your local listening room ( http://www.raylewispresents.com/ ) and when the MC steps out he announces to the crowd of 150 "Ladies and Gentlemen the doors are locked. If you leave you can not re-enter - Would you please welcome Sir Paul McCartney! Or whoever. No?

Beldar said...

If the CIA abducted me to Guantanamo and tortured me by playing Bob Dylan music, I'd confess.

To anything.

The only reason I can imagine why people might go to a Bob Dylan concert is that misery loves company.

mikee said...

I, for one, will always remember Dylan for his performance of "This Old Man" on the 1994 Disney release, "For Our Children - To Benefit The Pediatric AIDS Foundation."

This Old Man Goes Rolling Home.


http://www.amazon.com/For-Our-Children-Pediatric-Foundation/dp/6302049997

JSD said...

After seeing the Martin Scorsese documentary about Bob Dylan, I happened to mentioned it at work. All of my co-workers (South Texas) had no idea who Bob Dylan was. They vaguely thought he might have been some Hollywood actor. They’re largely Hispanic, but even so, they know Elton John, Madonna and lots of other performers. But Dylan, not even a clue would help. Maybe it’s something specific about Dylan. But I no longer take my cultural references for granted.

Alex said...

I never understood this Bob Dylan-worship by Ann. I guess it's a boomer thing.

Alex said...

BTW I'm a Gen Yer, but I love The Beatles and Syd Barrett Pink Floyd. So don't make this about a 60s thing.

Heartless Aztec said...

The 60's were only really cool musically from 1964 - 1966. The rest of it was trite (on both side of those years), if not musically boring.

David said...

If he did it once, he might to it again Althouse. And it could be just for you.

Would you offer your chance to Meade?

Alex said...

Yes Ann's ultimate dream is to be serenaded by Bob Dylan.

m stone said...

If you went to a sumptuous buffet of all your favorite items, could you enjoy it alone (anosmatics excluded)?

Doesn't having someone to share it with make the difference?

ken in tx said...

My wife has a whole bunch of Bob Dylan and Joan Baez stuff she asked me convert to MP3. It's her Ipod, not mine. At least she still relies on me for something.