June 9, 2014

Monday morning Supreme Court action.

Watching... to the extent that this event can be watched — at the live-blog at SCOTUSblog.

UPDATE: Nothing bloggable today. I'm interested in federal jurisdiction (a subject I've taught for 30+) but I'm not going to spring into action over the Executive Benefits Insurance Agency case (PDF)("[T]he Constitution does not permit a bankruptcy court to enter final judgment on a bankruptcy-related claim, the relevant statute nevertheless permits a bankruptcy court to issue proposed findings of fact and conclusions of law to be reviewed de novo by the district court").

5 comments:

Wilbur said...

My favorite jurisdiction case from law school: Hanson v, Denckla.

A seemingly impenetrable gauze of facts, elucidated by an equally opaque opinion.

Had to read four times just to make sense of it.

Ann Althouse said...

@Wilbur Just remember "purposeful contacts."

Martha said...

CTS Corp. v. Waldburger is worth blogging about!



Crunchy Frog said...

Purposeful contact = Mario Chalmers' elbow in Tony Parker's rib cage

Austin said...

I don't like this decision. Under the Constitution, Article I Courts are inferior to the Supreme Court, but not to Article III courts. Indeed, the constitutional language renders both Article III and Article I courts inferior to the Supreme Court, but beyond that, it does not specify, or imply, that the Article I courts are inferior.