May 29, 2008

"Engaging kids who make funny kid decisions, like ordering the official polo shirt five sizes too big..."

"... or confounding Dr. Bailly with impromptu Napoleon Dynamite impressions."



"In a way, I think it’s that these kids are not just good – they are so much better than I am at something that I have done almost every day since I learned to write. Part of my job – a vanishingly small but nonetheless nonzero part – is spelling things correctly. I do it boringly, perfunctorily, and once a year it’s fun to see people do it daringly, with panache and joy and wispy mustaches."

It's National Spelling Bee time again and that's just part of one post at Throwing Things, where — like every year — there will be many, many posts.

12 comments:

Triangle Man said...

I don't understand a word you just said.

Ruth Anne Adams said...

Vote for Pedro.

Skeptical said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Skeptical said...

Bless their hearts, but the National Spelling Bee stands to actual spelling skills as the Musclemania Bodybuilding Championships stand to real physical fitness.

knox said...

"Was that a secret message?" LOL

I used to work with 2 designers who quoted incessantly from N.D. It never got old. I'm not kidding. "It's probably the best drawing I've ever done" ... I must've heard that 1000 times and can't think of it without smiling.

Love the Spelling Bee, love Throwing Things's coverage. Thanks for reminding me, Althouse.

Joe said...

I always thought spelling bees were rather idiotic. Like so many other games, they confuse recitation of facts with intelligence.

MadisonMan said...

The short words in the second round killed. Lieu, serf and roux all take kids out.

MadisonMan said...

..and the girl representing the Wisconsin State Journal flubbed her word paronymous.

Larry J said...

In 2004, Akshay Buddiga from Colorado Springs became something of a spelling bee legend when he fainted only to get up and spell the word correctly. He went on to finish second. His older brother Pratyush won the competition in 2002. Both of them attended a middle school in my neighborhood.

vbspurs said...

Again, like every year, I ask why is the National Spelling broadcast by ESPN?

As well as the National Scrabble Championships?

Is this some kind of "mens sana in corpore sano" allusion?

Puzzled in Pimlico,
Victoria

Chip Ahoy said...

Somehow the word Chinook reminded him of "Do chickens have large talons?" For the life of me the only connection I can see is 'chi.' I think the definition should also include large cargo handling double rotor helicopter.

Chip Ahoy said...

We get Chinook winds in Denver as well. They can remove snow cover within a few hours.

I've never understood wind direction words, like "Noreaster." I could never get if the name refers to the whence or to the wither.