October 7, 2006

The Marijuana Fest.

I walked downtown along the lake path this afternoon, went to a café to work for a while, and then started back home by way of the Library Mall. What's all this? Oh, it's the Marijuana Fest.

The Marijuana Fest

It's not really very festive. No one is smoking pot, though there is a sign that says "Thank you for pot smoking." And the rock band is not exactly drawing a crowd:

The Marijuana Fest

There are a lot of flyers and posters on an unrolled metal fence.

The Marijuana Fest

The Marijuana Fest

And there are various stalls where vendors purvey marijuana-related things.

The Marijuana Fest

The Marijuana Fest

But there's no crowd energy. Just folks passing through the mall in the usual way, myself included.

ADDED: I did not buy anything at the Marijuana Fest. Who would? Who would want a Halloween pumpkin with a medical marijuana message? Would you take your trick or treating kids up to the door of house displaying such a thing? Would you want one of the t-shirts they were selling? Would you eat "Hemp I-Scream"? Me, I kept going and walked up Bascom Hill and over to Linden Drive, where I stopped at Babcock Hall for a nice scoop of University of Wisconsin ice cream. Vanilla. Wafer cone. Ah!

15 comments:

NSC said...

As I recall from my high school days, pot was not exactly an energy producer. Perhaps they were all at McDonalds instead?

Ruth Anne Adams said...

Was anyone selling brownies?

Dan from Madison said...

Hmmm a far cry from "Hash Wednesday" we used to have at the U of Illinois back in the late eighties. A lot of pot was smoked in the open that day.

I'm Full of Soup said...

Hey- this is Ann's annual post where she claims to "accidentally" stumble upon the school's marijuana festival. Splains some things. You go Ann and don't forget to bring us back some more of those cool, funky pictures you take.

Ann Althouse said...

AJ: Even though I often do stumble upon things in Madison and blog about them, I've never stumbled upon the Marijuana Fest before -- not in 22 years in Madison.

And if I were into marijuana, I wouldn't blog about it! Perhaps there's something else, something I don't write about that could get me in trouble. You'll just have to speculate what that might be!

I'm Full of Soup said...

Wink Wink -stage whisper...I get it, the dean has just discovered this internets thing and may be listening. It's Ok, your secret is safe with me- I think I am the only one who noticed this annual post of yours about Mary Jane's garden.

dave said...

Yeah, why would a parent expose his child to the evil of a pumpkin with a message about a natural cure for alleviating deathly pain.

A pumpkin condoning torture at Gitmo, however - I'm sure that would be A-OK.

Althouse: the Stupidest Fucking Place on the Internet™.

Revenant said...

Yeah, why would a parent expose his child to the evil of a pumpkin with a message about a natural cure for alleviating deathly pain.

Because as we all know, all the best parents like to regularly remind their small children that sometimes adults get sick and die. Why, it just isn't a fun Halloween season unless you've had your yearly chat with little Timmy about how Mommy might get cancer and need help keeping food down during her chemotherapy treatments.

Only crappy parents try to shield their little ones from the horrors of everyday life until they're old enough to understand them.

Pat Patterson said...

1st Dude, "Dude, there's a Maraijuana Fest".
2nd Dude, "That's cool".
1st Dude, "What?"
2nd Dude, "The Marijuana Fest".
1st Dude, "There's a Marijuana Fest?"

Synova said...

I actually think that drugs should be legalized (it's a libertarian thing) but the idea of a Marijuana Fest is just so... legality for medical use and otherwise has nothing at all to do with *promoting* pot use. The whole idea is to let people be stupid without creating the criminal culture and law enforcement escalations we've got now. Emphasis on the "stupid."

Local access television has a program I sometimes flip past that seems, mostly, to be faded hippies talking about how great it is to be high.

Eww.

Headline Junky said...

Looks to me like a covert recruitment drive for the Amerwiccan Tofu Militia.

I'm Full of Soup said...

Halo:

I am teasing Ann- there are no links to provide.
And yes, I was aware of links before you made your smug, conscending post.

Clampett said...

Something’s wrong with these pictures.

See the second picture; a perfectly do-able chick sits by herself at a marijuana-fest protest while nobody tries to get action from her.

How implausible...


Althouse:

1. What part of the back-story are you concealing?

Ann Althouse said...

Clampett: She's the only one who wants to be anywhere near a sign that says somebody got arrested right her last year.

kentuckyliz said...

The young college men don't want to do a nasty patchouli-stinkin' hippie chick.

The pretty girls put out too.

This ain't the 60's.