July 23, 2006

Where I was. What I was reading.

Yes, I spent some time with the NYT Book Review this afternoon.

Café

The Book Review and the acrostic.

IN THE COMMENTS: JLR asked if I read the Henry Alford essay about books in the bathroom. Well, yes, I did. And I had it on my lists of things to post about, before I hit the wall and decided to end the day with this highly relaxing photograph. But since JLR brought it up, I'll just make it part of the subject matter of this post for you to comment on. It's a cool little essay about the practice of putting a lot of books in the bathroom. What's that all about? There are different motives:
A few bathroom collections fell into a category I’ll call “Entertain or Educate Self.” The actor Jonathan Walker showed me the 16 books — mostly cookbooks from the 1950’s and 60’s — he and his wife keep loosely stacked on a shelf in their bathroom. Given that the books were about food, I brought up a theory held by some psychologists that people read in the bathroom because it’s a symbolic way to replace what’s lost through the act of voiding. A book about food, I speculated, might be an especially vivid replacement. But Walker wasn’t buying. He showed me a semi-psychedelic picture of a dessert called “Red Raspberry Fluff” and said, “it’s like listening to music while you’re vacuuming.”
That's just a taste. Read the whole thing. And don't drop your computer in the toilet.

7 comments:

Ann Althouse said...

Yeah, if I had done one more post on the Book Review, it would have been about books in the bathroom. Feel free to discuss it here. Oh, I'll add some stuff on the front page, but I want the photo to stay at the top.

On the acrostic's musical theme, I especially liked the way some of the word were only implicitly musical, like "augmented."

Ann Althouse said...

Chamber Plots.

Yeah, I liked Andy Warhol's Autobiography. It's bloggy.

buddy larsen said...

No newspapers--headlines too splashy.

Ann Althouse said...

Christy: Yeah, I thought that too. Great title, but I didn't see it at first.

Dactyl said...

Espresso Royale Cafe, I'm guessing. Probably near the back.

hat said...

I read in the bathroom alot, but not as a digression from my other reading. The books that are in my bathroom are pretty much just those that I've finished reading there and then not bothered to carry elsewhere.

Derve Swanson said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.