October 25, 2013

"I certainly have never made anyone suffer... The word 'suffering' is completely inappropriate to use about the process of filming."

"To talk about the suffering of the actor is something I can only laugh at — in such a beautiful profession, where you’re creating through your emotions, your body — to me, there is nothing of suffering. The job of an actor... it’s one of a spoiled child. You wake up, you’re made up, you do a few takes, you’re beautifully lit. Not to get into my social origins, but I’ve seen hard labor, and it is not comparable."

Said Abdellatif Kechiche, the director of "Blue Is the Warmest Color," which stars 2 young actresses who claim to have suffered in the filming.

6 comments:

Freeman Hunt said...

Says the abuser. What nonsense. He's a director, and he must know that these self-serving statements are lies. Shame on him. I will not see his movie.

Freeman Hunt said...

Actors are incredibly vulnerable when they're working. Incredibly. He doesn't seem to have any respect for that. How dare him to throw it back in their faces, calling them "spoiled child[ren]."

No, it isn't "hard labor." It's something different. But that doesn't mean it isn't hard and can't be abusive. (And it's not like directing is "hard labor" either.) To make a movie actors are forced to trust the director. I don't see any reason for any actor to trust this director in the future.

eddie willers said...

I was reading a recent interview with Andrew Lincoln who plays Rick Grimes on AMC's The Walking Dead.

They asked him if he were a leader like Rick is on the show.

"Oh no, I gave up leadership when I was about 15. I don’t make any decisions any more. That’s why I’m an actor; they just tell me where to be and what to say."

Nice work if you can get it.

Larry J said...

Put him on the other side of the camera lens and treat him exactly as he treats others. See how he likes it.

William said...

The actor who played the "squeal like a pig" role in Deliverance had his life ruined. He couldn't go anywhere without some drunk hassling him. Ditto with the girl in Last Tango in Paris. In restaurants other diners were always waving their butter at her. Honest. There are an awful lot of assholes on God's good earth, and you don't want to achieve worldwide fame as an anal rape victim. It seems to really energize the assholes.

JoyD said...

Ugh. I regret spending even these few minutes giving a thought to him.