October 22, 2013

"Farrah Fawcett called and said she was on her way down to Union Square, and she arrived in half an hour with Ryan O’Neal."

"They looked at her portrait and I didn’t think Farrah liked it, but then she studied them for about half an hour and finally said she loved it. I had Bob come down because I thought he could talk them into doing a cover, and she said she would. And she looked pretty, her hair was all washed, and she looked very very nice. She’s sweet. So then they left and I stayed alone with Rupert. Dropped him off (cab $ 4). Then glued myself together because I was invited to Prince Abudi’s dinner for Marion Javits."

From "The Andy Warhol Diaries," which I downloaded today after writing about that Andy Warhol painting of Farrah Fawcett. I wanted to be able to search the text — for Farrah Fawcett and, as time goes on, other celebrities. And I love Andy's writing style. Then glued myself together, indeed.


Farrah appears later in the diaries. Andy goes to see her in the stage play "Extremities" in July 1983:
Farrah was good, but not as good as Susan Sarandon had been...

Then after the play we saw Farrah and Ryan backstage and they were gushy. It’s so hard to talk to actors, all they want is to talk about themselves. And Ryan looks a little older, he’s getting the same lines I have... And he really wants the part of Dick Tracy that Warren Beatty’s supposed to get.
Later that year, in September, Andy runs into Ryan and Farrah in a restaurant: "Farrah was also so peculiar. She made Keith [Haring] draw on her arm. And then Ryan and Farrah were nervous so they took a walk around the block to smoke a joint."

I read the Warhol diaries when they came out in book form in 1989. It's nice to look at them again. One can be seduced by the writing style, but Andy wasn't writing. He was talking to his secretary on the telephone, and we're seeing the words in the form rendered by the secretary, but it's so hard not to feel you're hearing Andy's voice:  Then glued myself together because....

1 comment:

madAsHell said...

Cab ride $4

I haven't been to New York in a long time, but I'll bet 4 bucks won't even drop the flag.

In other news, the Fed continues to print money...