September 27, 2013

"Masters was a brilliant, obsessed and often cold and imperious surgeon determined to make his name by decoding the mysteries of sex."

"Johnson, who had a deft and invaluable human touch with the people they studied, was a sexually liberated woman who wanted a career."
Together they spent thousands of hours watching subjects masturbate and copulate while wired to monitors.

They also had sex with each other, lots of it, but Masters, who was married, insisted that they keep their couplings secret, scientific and impersonal. Late in life, Johnson said she didn’t desire him when they started, but couldn’t say no. “I didn’t want him,” she told Mr. Maier. “I had a job and I wanted it.”
Mr. Maier is Thomas Maier, author of
"Masters of Sex," and there's a new Showtime series based on it.

ADDED: Very nice graphic design here with the letters and image:

12 comments:

Carol said...

I assume Walker Percy based the fictional clinical sex research in Love in the Ruins on Masters and Johnson.

Even the satire was depressing. They really have ruined sex. I always suspected it was just more male manipulation of women into being more compliant. Until the guy gets bored, of course, and looks for kinkier pleasures.

Heartless Aztec said...

Greatest job ever or something quite the opposite?

richard mcenroe said...

I assume the series will overlook their alleged child molestation in the name of research...

ken in tx said...

Am I wrong in remembering that Masters did a bunch of weird stuff in a secret room in his house?

I don't object to sexy stuff, but I do object to liars. They were liars.

Carol said...

Kinsey certainly supported a lot of weird kinky stuff in the name of Science.

PaulV said...

Masters of Johnsons is more apt

David said...

Why are women who fuck widely for fun "sexually liberated" why men who do so are addicts, rapists, exploiters and curs?

David said...

Carol said...
I always suspected it was just more male manipulation of women into being more compliant. Until the guy gets bored, of course, and looks for kinkier pleasures.


Johnson had the "deft human touch." I take that as code that she was brilliantly manipulative.

It's Masters AND Johnson, Carol. And you still blame the man.

Michelle Dulak Thomson said...

Well, that E is certainly on its back.

ken in sc, George Will once wrote that there were some jobs that shouldn't be available to people eager to take them. Like "sex educator," or "Ambassador to the United Nations."

Smilin' Jack said...

Late in life, Johnson said she didn’t desire him when they started, but couldn’t say no. “I didn’t want him,” she told Mr. Maier. “I had a job and I wanted it.”

Shorter Johnson: "I was a whore."

gadfly said...

I watched the first episode because it was a free Showtime video. Even with all the nudity, which may be its only artistic virtue, the series has no place to go but downstream - the show was never on high ground so "downhill" is inappropriate.

richard mcenroe said...

I have to make a retraction. It was Kinsey who bought small children for the use of a pedophile to research child sexuality, not M&J.