December 29, 2008

Here's the post where I collect my favorite quotes from the past year.

This is an annual feature of the Althouse blog. I go though the whole year of posts and pick out the quotes that I like best.

"I have so many opportunities from this country. I just don't want to see us fall backwards, you know?" Hillary Clinton, tearing up for the ladies in New Hampshire.

"It was a creed written into the founding documents that declared the destiny of a nation. Yes we can. It was whispered by slaves and abolitionists as they blazed a trail toward freedom through the darkest of nights. Yes we can...." Barack Obama.

"We know how to talk about eatin' fried squirrel." Mike Huckabee.

"A cartoon character is how I see myself and it's worked for me for 40 years. I would rather be a cartoon than a genius!" Dolly Parton.

"Because I'm an ordinary person, I thought that they meant, 'What's your biggest weakness?' If I had gone last I would have known what the game was. And then I could have said, 'Well, ya know, I like to help old ladies across the street. Sometimes they don't want to be helped. It's terrible.'" Barack Obama.

"In addition to keen intelligence, integrity and a rare authenticity, you exhibit something that has nothing to do with age, experience, race or gender and something I don't see in other candidates. That something is a creative imagination which coupled with brilliance equals wisdom. It is too bad if we associate it only with gray hair and old age. Or if we call searing vision naivete. Or if we believe cunning is insight. Or if we settle for finessing cures tailored for each ravaged tree in the forest while ignoring the poisonous landscape that feeds and surrounds it." Toni Morrison raved about Barack Obama.

"Doesn't it seem like she's being pimped out in some weird sort of way?" David Shuster, talking inanely about Chelsea Clinton.

"Listen, I'll never forget you. You were the only guys who would listen to me for a couple of months. Do you think I'd ever forget you?" John McCain, on the phone with the bloggers.

"I am not saying goodbye to you. I only wish to fight as a soldier of ideas." Fidel Castro stepping down as president of Cuba.

"I can no more disown him than I can disown the black community. I can no more disown him than I can my white grandmother." Barack Obama gives a speech about Jeremiah Wright.

"I don't get too high when I'm high, and I don't get too low when I'm low." Barack Obama, explaining that he has "the right temperament for the presidency."

"Oh, damn. Where did you come from? I’m white. I’m entitled. There’s a black man stealing my show." The Rev. Michael Pfleger channels Hillary's inner voice.

"Oh, this is so terrible: The people they want her. Oh, this is so terrible: She is winning the general election, and he is not." Bill Clinton channels the media's inner voice.

"Maintain." Bloomberg flips out.

"I've been to 57 states." Best Obama gaffe.

"Ladies, doesn't it all sound too familiar? Once again, a woman is told to put her dreams aside to benefit a man, to benefit a party of men. Obama, a freshman senator who has paid no dues, is treated like anointed royalty; while a hard-working woman who has battled her entire life to break the glass ceiling is treated like a leftover meal, and thrown down the garbage disposal. You know how this feels. You've been in Hillary's shoes. You've seen the pretty boys that come in the office, almost no experience. They glad-hand the boss; they take credit for your work, talk a good game with real specifics, and then what happens? They get promoted while you, the hardworking backbone of the office, are told to go fetch the coffee or set up meetings for these dweebs that couldn't carry your bra if they had to." Rush Limbaugh channels the feminists.

"We now know who the Democratic nominee will be." Tim Russert, speaking prematurely, on May 26. 18 days later, he died, prematurely.

"My name is such a vanilla, white-girl American name." Ashley Holmes, self-renamed Ashley Hussein.

"This was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal." Barack Obama at his most megalomaniacal.

And this is the moment when I hit the wall. This gets us through the first half of the year. You'll have to wait for Part 2.

45 comments:

Justin said...

I guess all the quotes from Althouse commenters will show up in part two.

ricpic said...

In the, deep down everyone's innocent, department:

"I am not a monster. I could have killed them all, and no one would have known."

--Joseph Fritzl, 73, the Austrian man who fathered seven children with the daughter he imprisoned in a cellar for 24 years.

Meade said...

"And this is the moment when I hit the wall."

Know your limit; stay within it. Breath. Rehydrate. Have a bite of energy bar. You'll be fine. You went a little anaerobic there, that's all.

Unknown said...

"It was a creed written into the founding documents that declared the destiny of a nation. Yes we can."

Actually, no, it wasn't and anybody over the age of 18 knows it. The phrase was coined by Cesar Chavez in 1972 to support his labor actions.

Hoosier Daddy said...

"This was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal." Barack Obama at his most megalomaniacal.

Does it bother you at all you voted for a President you characterize as a megalomanic?

Sprezzatura said...

I liked Rush saying that BHO "hates America."

He out-Hannityed Hannity!!!!

I love watching a vitriol pissing contest.

P.S.

Are any of the Rs here pulling their hair out over the "magic negro" issue? At first there were crickets. Since then there's been a trickle of Rs opposing the "magic negro" song when it dawned on them that this looks bad.

Obviously, these Rs don't really care (they may even like the song.) Their transparently calculated, slowly expressed opposition is hilarious.

Since that they can't genuinely and quickly express opposition they'd be better off saying "F you, we like the song, if you don't like it there is a problem w/ you, and we don't want you in our party!!!!!!!"

I would love to see Saltsman overcome this issue, he would be a great RNC leader. He'll fight the PC police and take advice from Rush, that would be awesome.

ricpic said...

I like Rush saying that BHO "hates America."

Me too. Counters the Toni Morrison horsepucky.

JohnAnnArbor said...

"Because I'm an ordinary person, I thought that they meant, 'What's your biggest weakness?' If I had gone last I would have known what the game was. And then I could have said, 'Well, ya know, I like to help old ladies across the street. Sometimes they don't want to be helped. It's terrible.'" Barack Obama.

I'm not a Barack fan, but I LOVED that one. He really nailed it. And his stated biggest weakness--being organized--is mine.

JohnAnnArbor said...

NOT being organized, I should say.

MadisonMan said...

It's interesting (but too much of a time-suck) to read those old posts. Many commenters here are simply dreadful prognosticators.

Palladian said...

"Many commenters here are simply dreadful prognosticators."

Many commenters here are simply dreadful.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

The best NY post headline I can remember is "Marv Albert found tied to dead dominatrix" or something to that effect. (I cant testify to those words under oath, but the print was something very close to the spirit of those words)

Upon further reading, it turned out the story was no at all what the headline implied.

One of Marv's phone numbers, phone numbers, phone numbers was among the dead dominatrix possessions. Hardly anything resembling Marv's own body and soul physically tied to a dead body.

Trooper York said...

Reading those posts just shows that politics is boring.

garage mahal said...

I like Rush saying that BHO "hates America."

There ain't one person alive that hates America more than Rush Limbaugh. He wouldn't have a show otherwise. His contempt for America oozes out of every pore in that fat bastard with every breath he takes.

Cedarford said...

"My Friends! My Friends! I'll fight for you. Together we will take Washington back from the Insiders."

Said the 26-year DC Insider with a creepy smile on his face....

*************
"Well, yah never know what doors God opens up for you, I say. I just gotta be ready to see the doors open and think 'bout steppin' through it."

Said the Goddess of the Right, "Our Sarah, Our Sarah!"
**************
"I have too much respect for the office of the President and the primary process to address a question from some guy on UTube dressed up as Frosty the Snowman"

Mitt Romney.

"Did you know...I've heard..heard at least..that Mormons believe that Satan and Jesus are brothers? Not that I have anything against Mormons, or Mitt for that matter, of course.....

Mitt's pal, Pastor Huckleberry.

*************
"It's absolutely intolerable. People are trying to ruin me, cast me as this cheap gold digger or something. They even make fun of my handicap and hope I will fall dancing! Monsters!"

Heather McCartney

Hoosier Daddy said...

There ain't one person alive that hates America more than Rush Limbaugh.

You're right. I remember that particular episode clearly. Snerdley was late on the dump button when Rush was screaming Goddam Amerikkka! Goddam Amerikkka.

Chip Ahoy said...

Proof I can live perfectly well-informed with the television permanently set on mute. I will be told what these people said repeatedly, and it will all be recapped.

TMink said...

Did Senator Obama have to pay for that blow job that Toni Morrison gave him, or was it a freebie?

Trey

TMink said...

garage wrote: "His contempt for America oozes out of every pore in that fat bastard with every breath he takes."

Dude, look in a mirror. There is plenty of hate in your post.

Why do the left engage in so much projection????????????????

Trey

sonicfrog said...

"B" Girl has to "B" on the next list.

Trooper York said...

"There ain't one person alive that hates America more than Rush Limbaugh."

You are totally wrong Garage. Lindsey Lohan is the person that hates America the most ever since she got her fired after only three episodes of the four episode arch she signed for on Ugly Betty.

You are never gonna a tag if you don't keep your facts straight dude.

Chip Ahoy said...

I pulled a piece of green out of my salad and asked the people at the table, "What is this?" One of the friends who took me to dinner on my birthday tasted it. "I think it's arugula." I go, "Now why would someone purposefully ruin a perfectly good salad with that?" Shrug. Nobody knew. Arugula, or rocket, is the bitter suck unless the leaves are young. Or if they're mature, then cooked. You do not want to eat this stuff. Its popularity confounds me.

"Have you been to Whole Foods and seen the price of arugula?"

Why, yes I have, but it was nothing compared to the cost of the Bleu d'Auvergne. But why should I concern myself with all that when domestic Maytag compares so favorably?

MadisonMan said...

Lombardino's here in Madison makes a prosciutto and arugula pizza that is most excellent.

It's always on their rotating menu, so it must be popular.

BJK said...

Is there any doubt that Gov. Palin (either directly or as the subject of quotation) will play heavily into Part 2?

Hoosier Daddy said...

Is there any doubt that Gov. Palin (either directly or as the subject of quotation) will play heavily into Part 2?

You betcha

garage mahal said...

You're right. I remember that particular episode clearly. Snerdley was late on the dump button when Rush was screaming Goddam Amerikkka! Goddam Amerikkka.

Both were available for duty in the 1960's, one joined the Marines, and one ducked it saying his ass hurt him too much. Hmm, wonder who joined Bill Clinton [of all people] as a draft dodger. At least Clinton was against the war.

Anyways can you come up with someone else that hates more Americans, or more groups of Americans more than Limbaugh?

Susan said...

I can't imagine why arugula would be pricey. It's about the easiest thing in the world to grow.

TMink said...

"Anyways can you come up with someone else that hates more Americans, or more groups of Americans more than Limbaugh?"

Garage, there are 38 official hate groups listed in the very first list of such organizations I could find on the web. 38 in my home state that is.

All of them advocate killing people that they do not like. They support murder to reach their ideals.

Now Garage, the problem is that you find Rush's beliefs repugnant but lack either the mental clarity or a functioning prefrontal orbital cortex to be upset and think at the same time. So you hate Rush because you disagree with him. That Garage, is called intolerance. You are guilty of it my friend.

But this might help.

Let's say you are a black man. Who would you rather go ask for some gas money on a dark and rainy night, the KKK or Rush.

See, the KKK kills people. Rush uses his words. Sticks and stones etc dude.

Trey

From Inwood said...

ijpb

From the "Black Republican" Blog:

"None of the people now trashing Saltsman [or, here, you trashing Rush L] uttered one peep of protest when the article entitled 'Obama the Magic Negro' was first published in the 'Los Angeles Times' on March 19, 2007 with the subtitle: 'The Illinois senator lends himself to white America's idealized, less-than-real black man.' Below is the link to that article.

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-oe-ehrenstein19mar19,0,5335087.story?coll=la-opinion-center"

heywoot said...

That's true, Trey, but you are trying to use logic and facts when dealing with a liberal. They are superior to everyone else, in every way, and their emotions are so amazing that they don't even have to use common sense. Which is good, since they have none.

garage mahal said...

Let's say you are a black man. Who would you rather go ask for some gas money on a dark and rainy night, the KKK or Rush.

I'd rather ask Rev Jeremiah Wright to be honest with you.

Salamandyr said...

I'd rather ask Rev Jeremiah Wright to be honest with you.

Well, if you were a black man, yeah.

Anonymous said...

According to the retarded baboon-logic of Garage, every leader of his democrat party including Brakabama is a goodam piece of shit coward.

Wright joined the Marines? Sop did Lee Harvey Oswald you pathetic dumbass.

garage mahal said...

According to the retarded baboon-logic of Garage, every leader of his democrat party including Brakabama is a goodam piece of shit coward.

What makes you think I'd disagree with that.

TMink said...

Heywoot, I type corrected. 8)

Silly me.

But liberals with a working prefrontal orbital cortex may be reading this, and those liberals think.

I was one of them.

Which probably explains my mistake in the first place!
Trey

Ken Pidcock said...

I'll second JohnAnnArbor. The "biggest weakness" line humorously resonated with what voters understand about the political process and allowed Senator Obama, without a touch of malice, to portray his primary opponents as craven. Any politician's dream.

The Den Mother said...

Hey garage, Rush doesn't hate America, he just hates stupid Americans. I can see why you would take that personally.

garage mahal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
garage mahal said...

Den Mother
Maybe you know some Americans Limbaugh likes, or American institutions that inherently American that Limbaugh likes. I can't. But then again he said he carried water for a party that hasn't shown itself very pro American to begin with.

comatus said...

"I can't imagine why arugula would be pricey. It's about the easiest thing in the world to grow."
--I remember seeing a major article (in The New Yorker!)on how hard it was to grow, when the big hit had just started. It's a delicate, evanescent alpine thing, you know. Except in my garden and yours. So, it's pricey because Nyaakers think it's hard to grow.

"Lombardino's here in Madison makes a prosciutto and arugula pizza that is most excellent."
--Good lord man, get help. That is just depraved. I'll use that line in argument. Any chance I can get it on one of those wave files, so I can practice and get the delivery right?

Ken Pidcock said...

Freedom lettuce.

JohnAnnArbor said...

Weed.

Charity said...

I missed that Hussein story, but I recently started using Facebook a lot and I was beginning to think that a lot of people were complete morons for listing that as their middle name. Well, I still think that, but at least I have more context - they were morons featured in the New York Times!

JohnAnnArbor said...

Fashion, Charity.

Hoosier Daddy said...

Both were available for duty in the 1960's, one joined the Marines, and one ducked it saying his ass hurt him too much.

And Timothy McVeigh served in the US Army.

I'm wondering if you'll eventually get to a point.