March 4, 2008

"The country is groaning and moaning and screaming for change."

That would be funniest if who said it?



And speaking of "The Daily Show," Hillary Clinton was the guest last night. Here's the video. It's via satellite, so it's a little stiff. She shoehorns in a lot of campaign-speak, but she also gets in a few real-human-being moments, like at the beginning, when Jon Stewart asks why she's spending the last night before the primary with him, and she says "It's pathetic."

She misses some opportunities too, like when Stewart makes a baseball analogy, comparing her and Barack Obama to Ted Williams and Joe DiMaggio. Isn't Hillary Clinton reputed to be a big baseball fan? She didn't pause to say a word about baseball, but went right to the subject of her and Obama.

So it wasn't that different from your usual talking heads interview, and you can see that Jon Stewart is sad that the people we see behind Hillary haven't laughed at all. These are young people in Austin, Texas. If they aren't laughing at Jon's lines, he's in big trouble. Hillary explains: They can't hear him. Her people failed to set up an audio feed in the room! There's a good analogy for a campaign that keeps getting things wrong and can't get its audience excited.

10 comments:

Chip Ahoy said...

↑ That wasn't me.

Lord, look at me! Why hast thou beset me so? How many Hillary's and Obamas hast thou created and set running upon the stage to wear me out this way? Surely two people cannot occupy every single spot I turn my gaze for so many days month upon month until the end of days. Have I somehow offended thee?

Simon said...

Change, yes. But not everyone agrees on what kind of change. The people who show up to Obama rallies and the people who bought Newt's last book both want "change" - but changes in very different directions. Any time you hear someone clamoring for change, the questions ought to be "what, why, and how?"

Ann Althouse said...

(Chip is referring to an empty comment that I deleted.)

Peter V. Bella said...

Everytime I here or see uncle Festus speak, I have to wonder who is running for President; Hillary or Festus.

As to change, I have to agree with Simon and stretch his point. People across the political spectrum are angry and want some type of change in government. Some want economic change, some want social change, and some have a throw the bums out attitude and change the whole thing. The question left unasked is change at what cost?

Moose said...

MCG's point is vaild.

People are so desperate for change now they are going for the lure, not the bait. Even the appearence of change is making strong men swoon.

As I pointed out previously, people are putting all their money behind Obama, all the while ignoring the fact that he's a *Chicgo democrat*, one of the most corrupt species of pol out there.

As shown by the unanswered Rezko questions, the press is giving him a free ride right now.

I lived in Chicago long enough to be leery of a messiah from that town...

Moose said...

PS.

Jon Stewart sucks.

Trooper York said...

I don't know, whenever someone asks me for change on the subway, I tell them to go get a job. But I didn't mean president!

Dust Bunny Queen said...

Actually, Hillary saying that it was pathetic that she was on the show and her hilarious parody of Obama's evangelical style of campaigning, made me laugh out loud. LOL Maybe she has decided to have some fun.

Suddenly she seems almost human under the mask she has been wearing. Of course, that could just be a sub-mask hiding the inner Reptiloid.

Whenever I hear the "change" mantra, I can't help but think of South Park and the zombie bums.....Change? Change? And Cartman's response. "NO. Eff off!!!!" /slams door

Anonymous said...

God bless Jon Stewart Lebowitz (sorry, Jon, but if you insist on going on and on about being a Jew, I insist on using your full name) for being consistent about being a comedian and not a newsman. Of course he was sad when no one laughed! That's his job and, I think, his avocation as well.

Peter V. Bella said...

moose said...
...while ignoring the fact that he's a *Chicgo democrat*, one of the most corrupt species of pol out there.


True, he is right down there in the same cess pool as Arkansas Democrats. Same species.