June 24, 2006

How I know that crossword solvers google.

I'm getting an immense amount of action on this old post, as the NYT puzzle from May 13th appears in other papers today. Funny that it's all about feeling "unbearably unhappy."

UPDATE: I should fish for future traffic: Neroli oil source! 1953 Eartha Kitt hit! "Diamonds Are Forever" soundtrack! Featured performer in Berlioz's "Harold in Italy"! Women's rights pioneer! Composer of about 600 sonatas! A wind killed her! I answer all in the comments.

7 comments:

Ann Althouse said...

And the answers are: orange tree, "C'est Si Bon," "[Bond Smells] a Rat," violist, [Carrie Chapman] Catt, Scarlatti, Annabel Lee.

I await my crosswordlanche.

Troy said...

Don't forget A British Gun -- "Sten"

Ann Althouse said...

Mine are all the hardest things in today's puzzle.

Unknown said...

I hope Will Shortz is not reading this. Now he'll make his puzzles ungoogleable!

Ann Althouse said...

Well, self-respecting crossword solvers don't google for the answers. If you're at the point of googling, you've already caved and you're just curious. But the NYT has a telephone line where you can call and pay for answers.

Unknown said...

I do cave, when I'm desperate and the thing is unsolvable otherwise. It's definitely not a win, or perhaps a win with an asterisk.

Gordon Freece said...

You can pay the NYT for the answers?

There's a joke in there about Times Select. And at least one more about Krugman's reported fact-checking problems.